FRIDAY, MARCH 26, 2021 UPDATE
Can you believe it? Who would have ever thought that our church journey would include worshipping OUTSIDE and through online live-streaming for an ENTIRE YEAR (and counting)? Wow, praise God for Southern California weather and for the layout of our property which makes our worship experience possible. We’ve been blessed, especially as we know of churches who have had to terminate their rental agreements or who don’t have an adequate outdoor area to host an outdoor service. Praise God for our lawn, our L shaped parking lot, and our very precious Sunday morning servants!!
At the beginning of my sermon last Sunday, for the sake of time I quickly read through a list of live-streaming stats provided by Joe Lum and I’d like to report these stats again. In one year’s time, that began on March 15, 2020, we had 19,702 views, equaling 4,248 hours of worship. We’ve created 98 videos, including sermons, devotionals, VBS and promotional announcements. Currently we have 207 regular subscribers on YouTube (amazing, considering that many viewers don’t subscribe) and our highest watched episode had 620 views!!
Again, we want to thank Joe and Debbie Lum for their amazing service, ensuring the consistency and high quality of our live-stream experience. They’ve spent many Saturday evenings into the wee morning hours learning the best ways to broadcast and record our events. Also, we’d like to thank all the volunteers who have come early on Sunday morning to set up: For Jim and the Sun family, Joe Yang, Alan & Nathan Chun, Tyson Onaga, Joshua & Taylor Cain, Dave McLendon and family, Kyle Ng, Terri & Victor Wong, the Hom family, and all of our worship leaders, Terri, Kyle, Alyssa Chao, Wayne Leung, Heather Ng, Jonathan & Betty Hom, Micah Yu, and Cliff Char.
Also, my personal thanks to my buddy and yours, Pastor Richard Ross, who helped to work out all the recording bugs along the way! (Do you remember him cleaning out his engine gutter with a pair of chopsticks? LOL!)
Thank you Sunday morning team and fellow worshippers!
- FOR THIS WEEKEND’S PALM SUNDAY SERVICE, WE WELCOME ROY TOMA. Pastor Roy Toma, a longtime friend of Pastor Curt, is currently the Japan Missions Director for the Japanese Evangelical Missionary Society (JEMS) in downtown, Los Angeles. He and his wife Nancy, and their three children have served as missionaries to Japan for 14 years in Okinawa, Ishinomaki (the location of the tsunami), and Iwakuni. Please join us for our worship service in person or online at youtube.com/JourneyEvangelicalChurchLive. His Palm Sunday message will be “Are You Ready For Jesus’ Coming?” from John 12:12-26. See you there!
- SEEKING PASTOR NOMINATION COMMITTEE CANDIDATES. The elders have officially begun the process of creating a slate of 7 candidates to serve on Journey’s Pastor Nomination Committee (PNC). If you are a Journey member and wish to submit the name of fellow Journey member to serve on the PNC, please submit your consideration(s) to Pastor Curt firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submission is Wednesday, March 31.
- CELEBRATION OF LIFE FOR OUR MISSIONARY COLLEEN WONG, this Sunday, March 28 at 3:00pm. Her service, via Zoom, will be hosted by Deoworks, her missions agency. To attend, please register online in advance athttps://www.deoworks.org/cwcelebrationoflife.html. There will also be an additional public memorial service held on Saturday, April 24th at The Church at Rocky Peak in Chatsworth at 10am. (22601 Santa Susana Pass Road, Chatsworth, 91311). If you have any questions, contact Valerie Yee at email@example.com
- GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE, APRIL 2, VIA ZOOM AT 7:30PM. As Christian believers, we affirm that without the cross of Christ, upon which our Lord suffered and died, there is no salvation and no Christian faith. Please note that on this solemn evening we will be led in worship through scripture readings, song, liturgical readings, homily and Holy Communion so please have your juice and bread ready and keep watch for our Good Friday service bulletin which will be made available to print at this beginning of next week. The zoom link for our Good Friday service is: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMsdeqoqj4rHdcZ6lMusfzz0m1tGsAcdGpt. If you have any questions, please contact Pastor Curt at firstname.lastname@example.org
- EASTER CELEBRATION, NEXT SUNDAY APRIL 4. In praise to God for Jesus’ resurrection, our Easter Celebration and baptism service will be on Sunday, April 4, at our regular time of 10:30am. Please join us on campus either on the lawn, in your car, or join us online at youtube.com/JourneyEvangelicalChurchLive at our regular 10:30am time. The sermon outline will be on our website https://journeyec.org/sermon-notes/
- PASTOR CURT’S OFFICE HOURS. Curt has set up virtual office hours if you’d like to call, email, text, or meet at the church non-virtually (safe distancing outside in the warm sun). Pastor Curt’s office hours are on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays after 10am. His cell number is (408) 889-3983 and his email is email@example.com
- WE NOW HAVE FREE UNLIMITED ACCESS TO RIGHTNOW MEDIA—the “Netflix of video Bible studies!” This extensive library hasmore than 20,000 videos from leaders like Francis Chan, Jennie Allen, Matt Chandler, Dr. Tony Evans, and many more. These Bible study videos can be used for a group study or for personal devotions, and many series include free discussion guides and handouts. RightNow Media has videos for everyone in your family on a variety of topics like marriage, parenting, personal finances, mental health, etc, including a library for children with over 2,000 safe, entertaining videos. For access to this Bible Study resource, email Pastor Sam at Samuel@journeyec.org or click on the link https://www.rightnowmedia.org/Account/Invite/JEC
- MEMBERSHIP CLASSES TO START IN MID-APRIL Pastor Curt is planning to give membership classes this April so if you’re interested in becoming a member or transfer your membership from ECO to EFCA, please sign your name on the list at the guest table or email Debbie Lum at Debbie@JourneyEC.org
- JOURNEY SERMON SERIES FROM PASTOR CURT. We believe God is the Creator of the heavens and the earth. Yet, perhaps there is a truth more wondrous than God as Creator. God is also the Great Orchestrator. Time itself is in God’s hands and all of history unfolds according to His Sovereign plan. All history is His-story.
If this is so, what are the implications? Could it be that God is the Author, not only of history, but of many stories—a countless number of them—that He’s taking great delight in composing? Could it be that your own life is God’s story in the making, which He is co-authoring with you in order to be told throughout the ages and beyond? The Bible has much to say about this.
We invite you to join us on Sunday, April 11, when Pastor Curt gives the 11th message in his message series: “Your Life: His Story In The Making.” Pastor Curt will be addressing the topic of our eternal future.
- NEW! CHINESE CONGREGATION LIVE ZOOM WORSHIP – ONLINE EVERY SUNDAY Cantonese at 10:30am, Mandarin at 2:00pm. We welcome anyone and everyone! If you need English translation, please contact Pastor Paul Eng, firstname.lastname@example.org. Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5177707416
- PRAYER NEEDS CONTACT the DEACONS: Pat Leung (Pat@JourneyEC.org), or Cherry Chin (Cherrychin1@aol.com).
- THE JOURNEY CAMPUS REMAINS CLOSED: All visitors to the campus should notify Sherrie at sherrie@JourneyEC.org prior to your requested visit due to security and COVID safety precautions.
- GIVING: Please continue to support the church during this important time through:
- GivePlus Church phone app (search for Journey Evangelical Church)
- Mailed Checks are also still being received at the Church Office.
- SUPPORT JOURNEY VIA AMAZONSMILE! (https://smile.amazon.com) Every dollar spent on AmazonSmile linked to “Journey Evangelical Church Westminster CA” grants us a donation! Search for us via the “change charities” list in AmazonSmile. Thank you for considering us while you shop online! Debbie@JourneyEC.org for questions.
- ZOOM TELECONFERENCING: The church has 3 accounts for connecting our ministries and groups. These are overseen by Yolonda Pech (yolonda@JourneyEC.org) and potential users need to request with her at least 48 hours in advance so the Zoom usage schedule may be coordinated.